From World Wind Wiki
The Wikipedia layer consists of hotspots with click-through links to relevant Wikipedia articles.
The current version is a snapshot from March 4, 2005, with 572 points.
Links to geographical coordinates is a new thing in Wikipedia, so the availability of points is as of yet pretty sparse in most areas.
Installers are available:
- V1.2e: ftp://ftp.kvaleberg.com/pub/Worldwind_1.2e_Wikipedia_0.1.exe
- V1.3: ftp://ftp.kvaleberg.com/Worldwind_1.3_Wikipedia_0.2.exe
For a guide on how to add coordinates to other Wikipedia articles, see the style guide for geographical coordinates.
See also WikiProject Geographical coordinates.
Feedback to: egil at kvaleberg.no
This is really a proof-of-concept at the time being.
Some things to consider:
- The hotspots really need to be categorized. Especially true the more points there are.
- The map scale from Wikipedia probably should be reflected in visibility-from-altitude.
- The number of points from Wikipedia will soon reach several thousands. Perhaps the XML format is not suitable?
- Various things in the XML has just been inherited from other layes, and probably needs to be looked at.
- Is it possible to have a text appear in addition to the icon for the hotspot?
- I'm sure there are efficiency issues.